Most of us know to lock up our medicine cabinets and household cleaning solutions, so that children and pets are kept safe. And you definitely know to store pesticides far out of reach. But for pets, some of the most common poisons are lurking around most homes in plain sight. Check around your home to be sure your pet can’t access these three common poisons.
Houseplants. Some houseplants are toxic to pets, and some aren’t. Aloe, philodendrons, and snake plants are just a few common examples. Even if your dog or cat has never shown any interest in plants, they can get bored and “experiment” at any time. So if you do display houseplants, do your research on which ones are potentially harmful. Or plan to keep them all out of reach, just in case.
The ASPCA website provides a list of toxic plants for your reference.
Xylitol. This artificial sweetener is harmless to humans, which is why manufacturers include it in so many of our products. But it can trigger a major drop in blood sugar for pets, and even cause liver damage.
Aside from the obvious culprits like sugar-free gums and candies, xylitol often lurks in numerous snack foods and even some brands of peanut butter. This is yet another reason why giving your pet “people food” is a bad idea.
Grapes and raisins. We think of these as healthy options for humans, but for some reason just a few grapes or raisins can cause kidney damage in pets. There’s no need to stop purchasing them, but definitely keep this fact in mind so that you can keep them out of your pet’s reach.
Of course, no matter your best efforts, accidents can happen. If you suspect your pet has ingested something poisonous, call us right away.